Our Information Practices
Our policies and procedures protect the privacy of current and former customers as well as consumers who request information about the AARP Life Insurance Program from New York Life ("the Program").
Types of Information We Collect
In the normal course of business we collect:
- Information requested on applications and other forms (including name, address, date of birth and social security number);
- Information provided to us by AARP and its subsidiary (such as member identification number);
- Data about your transactions (such as the type of product you purchased);
- Information from outside sources such as public records;
- Information you provide to us on our website, such as when you fill out an online form. We also store data temporarily in your computer's memory using a "cookie". Our cookie stores data such as your name and address so that you don't have to re-enter it during your visit. The cookie we place on your computer is also used to show us the source from which you entered our site. This cookie is automatically removed from your computer after 30 days or you can delete it yourself at anytime;
- Health information collected with your permission when you apply for our life insurance products.
Safeguarding Your Information
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that meet state and federal laws. Access to customer information is limited to people who need the information to perform their job duties.
How We Use Your Information
New York Life* may share all of the data we collect about you as allowed by law, including data shared with non-affiliated companies that perform services for us. These services include:
- Administering and marketing our products; and
- Quality control and measuring member participation and satisfaction with the Program.
We may disclose information we collect about you when required or permitted by law, such as to:
- Respond to a subpoena;
- Prevent fraud and other crimes;
- Comply with legal requirements; or
- Respond to a government inquiry.
Important Privacy Choice
Your privacy is important to us. You have the option to request that we not share your information as follows:
With AARP or its subsidiary for purposes unrelated to the Program. These purposes include sharing with AARP and its subsidiary to allow them to analyze members' needs and interests. AARP and its subsidiary use non-member data to solicit memberships. AARP and its subsidiary may also share your information with other AARP service providers to inform you of other AARP member benefits and services that may be of interest to you. These AARP service providers include other insurers, financial services companies and providers of consumer products and services.
How to make your choice:
- If you do not want us to share your information in this manner, please contact us at 1-866-687-5160. Keep in mind that the sharing of this information will allow AARP and its subsidiary to evaluate member interests and provide members with information about benefits and services that may meet their needs.
- Your choice will apply to all AARP life insurance and annuity products from New York Life that you own. If you own a product jointly with another owner and one joint owner tells us not to share information that choice will also apply to the other owner(s).
- We will honor your choice until you cancel or change it.
- You may inform us of your choice at anytime.
Please keep this notice for your records
We will follow the privacy law in your state if that law differs from the policy described in this notice.
Informing customers about privacy
New York Life AARP Operations
P.O. Box 31670
Tampa, Florida 33631-3670
If you would like to change any of the information we collect about you as listed above, please call us at 1-866-687-5160.
NOTE: Because you are already an AARP member, you may still receive mailings from AARP and other providers of AARP member benefits and services. If you do not wish to receive promotional mailings from other AARP service providers you must contact AARP directly by calling 1-888-687-2277.
*”New York Life”, "we” and "us” refer to New York Life Insurance Company (NYLIC) and its wholly owned subsidiary New York Life Insurance and Annuity Corporation (NYLIAC). NYLIC underwrites the AARP Life Insurance Program. NYLIAC is the issuer of the annuity products for the AARP annuity programs.
This Privacy Notice is specific to the AARP Life Insurance Program. If you own any other New York Life product, New York Life will protect your personal information it collects in connection with that product in accordance with the privacy notice that applies to that other product.